Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sell, Sell, Sell-C'mon August 30th

The Braves have been so abysmal to watch and follow over the past month that I have not been able to stomach making a post about them. I have continued to follow them with the vigor I always do but it has been brutal. This past weekend and last night were all just awful.

Story of the season-Every good player we have has been hurt and Jeff Franceour is an absolute head-case. I have supported him and wanted to love him as a player but he consistently shows he is a hard-headed moron with the approach he takes at the plate. He is the new Andruw Jones...except with less of an upside. I hope one day to have to retract my statements about him but I don't see it happening. His attitude about being sent down to the minors last month said it all-he thinks he's too cool for school. Newsflash Jeff-you aren't.

As far as what to do from here I am hoping and praying the Braves get rid of Tex by the trade deadline that is fastly approaching. For one, we won't be re-signing him at the end of the year anyway and secondly, I can unleash my charicature of him called 'Big Bi Tex'. Although I don't particularly care for Tex and don't know what has gone on behind closed doors, I will say I am also not particularly enchanted with our new GM Frank Wren. With the money freed up from Hampton and Glavine at the end of the season with Smoltz also a major 'if' for next year, why did he not take a shot at Tex for maybe 5-6 years at $18-20 million. I know Tex said he wasn't talking about it during the season, but I guarantee you he would've listened if they came and offered him a contract like that. Again, that may have happened but it doesn't seem like it when you listen to Frank Wren-and that my friends, is not good general managing.
---
Anyway, I am getting more and more geared up for football season and the beloved Georgia Bulldogs. I am staying cautiously pessimistic about the season thus far and am glad I have. It appears quite a few 'die-hard' fans have been upset by the recent 'disses' to the Dawgs in the media with predicitions and preseason teams. Being a seasoned fan, I knew better than to get caught up and this and saved myself the frustration.

Bottom line: UGA will have a good team, don't know how good. People shouldn't expect
things to be that much different, same coaches as in years past and a lot of talent. I hope I'm surprised but I don't expect to be impressed early in the season. I imagine Martinez's defense will be tentative early as always and the offensive playcalling will be questioned. People will be upset about why Stafford and Moreno aren't putting up the big numbers. My hope is that we can get by early games w/ USC and Arizona State and be hitting our stride by Alabama weekend.

Even thinking about the national championship right now is a stretch. But I think to legitimately have a shot we need to be heading into the LSU game without a loss. Not that its impossible to go undefeated from that point in the season; but chances are you are going to lose a game when playing LSU, Florida, and Auburn away from Sanford Stadium over 4 weeks.

And finally...

I would love the opportunity to get locked into a room, cage, car, etc. w/ Urban Meyer, and not like when him and Tebow get together. I want to 'tear his nuts off'*.

*Quote taken from Jesse Jackson

1 comment:

BW said...

It's about time this blog got going again. It seems Tex is officially gone and the Braves are done for the year. Now we can fully turn our attention to the week by week thrill ride that will take place this Fall. I am always pessimistic and just hope UGA makes it through Ga Southern and Central Michigan with 2 W's.