Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dismal

I had the misfortune of attending yesterday's debacle at Sanford Stadium and it just furthered the depression I have been feeling about our football team. There are a million details to go over and discuss but as has been the case recently, I simply do not have the energy. It comes down to the basic problem that we are incapable of playing enough defense to win. Our offense by no means was perfect yesterday but we scored 42 points. If you can't win with that, you don't deserve to. I preface this by saying that I love Mark Richt, I would want no one else as our head coach and I hope he stays as our head coach until he is ready to retire...

However, in my opinion yesterday was the 5th time he was out coached this season. Now I am aware that he does not set the defensive game plan nor call the plays but he is the man in charge and the buck stops with him. We came out flat in the second half and gave up 26 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter, I find that unacceptable-particularly allowing that to happen at the hands of a team where we have far superior physical talent. It is baffling, depressing, ridiculous...

The other games I feel he got out-coached in:

-Alabama-Came out unbelievably flat, we weren't ready to play. 31-0 in the first half, really?
-Florida-Granted they probably had us out maned but to be dominated that badly, and for there to be murmurs that the team gave up or quit, hmmmmm.
-Kentucky-Not a bad team, tough game. But again, we have far superior talent and the team got lackadaisical. Where's the killer instinct?
-Auburn-An awful team this year, seemed to be more ready to play than we were and nearly got us.

Again, I love Richt and realize he can't help players not doing their jobs, his assistants not having their units properly prepared, etc. I just know he can do better and I think we've got the talent here to do so. I don't know what exactly needs to be done, but something has got to change.

And now, we have no fun bowl game to look forward to. Ohio State is likely now in the BCS since Oregon State lost so I would assume we will have the distinct honor of playing Michigan State in the Capital One Bowl. Whoopty damn doo.

Anyway, one thing yesterday's game did do for me was re-ignite and further my hatred for GA Tech. They are like a little brother trying to be as good as his big brother. I despise that school and their fans, case in point...

A young GA Tech fan and his girlfriend are in the UGA alumni section where I am sitting. He is probably 22 or 23 and is loud and obnoxious the entire first half. He felt it appropriate to turn around to us and point after 1st downs and to taunt us after big plays. After we took the lead 28-12 a brawl nearly ensued as he was unmercifully taunted by about 10 UGA fans, yours truly included but we aren't talking about drunks here-other than a couple of younger guys-most of our fans were 40-60 and dead sober. This jackass continued to run his mouth in the second half and again nearly incited a riot when he grabbed a probably 17 year old 'kid' in front of him to taunt him. This 'kid' was probably 275 lbs and the Techie was probably 5'9", 165 lbs, so no match. The 'kid's' dad had to be restrained and was within inches of killing the Techie. Other than a couple minor dust-ups that was pretty much the end of his obnoxious behavior, but I was just baffled. How do you think it would be appropriate to go into another school's section and talk trash to everyone and taunt them? Did he really think he wouldn't get his ass kicked?

Regardless, that idiot and others I encountered re-ignited my hatred for Tech and I can't wait to beat them again and go reign blows upon their fans. This picture below about sums it up...

Oh and one other thing. I caught to 16 year old Tech fans discussing doing something similar to this player. Let's just say physical harm was threatened and would have been carried out should they have gone through with it.

No comments: