Thursday, May 29, 2008

Les' Look at Life Events

Now I am not speaking for everyone here, but I have observed something recently that I don't understand.

Why do I feel obligated to tip a bartender but not the pizza guy when I choose to pick up a pizza instead of getting it delivered or when I get a Sub at Subway?

Since I do not drink liquor usually, a bartender just gets me a beer and hands it to me. If I have a tab I leave at least a 15% tip and if I am paying cash I will usually leave $1 each time I get a beer if I'm in a bar. Even at Braves games I'll leave 50 cents for the guy who gives me a beer from the cooler.

Yet if I walk into Papa John's to pick up a pizza they just made or into Subway for a sandwich, I just pay and leave. The pizza man made a pizza-more work than a liquor drink or opening a bottle. The Subway guy/girl made a sandwich-again more work than a purveyor of drinks.

There are small arguments that can be made about the differences b/w these things but basically they should be the same. At the core of their jobs a bartender is no more helpful than a 'Sandwich Artist' or a 'Pizza Chef'. Yet b/c his product makes us feel good, we owe him tips?

I'm not prepared to start a revolution over this. I certainly will not be tipping Papa John's or Subway people b/c I'm cheap, and the establishments charge too much as it is. At the same time, I don't want to be the asshole at the bar who doesn't tip.

So onward I will go, tipping some and not tipping others, although they essentially deserve the same fate.

Other things I don't understand and may elaborate on at some point:
-How exactly does a telephone work? Not just the normal answer, a detailed explanation of the how/why a voice can be transmitted and heard clearly
-How a fax machine works?Along the same lines
-Why many people care so much about animals that they decide to join PETA, yet are fervently pro-choice?

No comments: