Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Clarification

This morning, I heard an intelligent local radio host say that the national media and coaches are 'drinking the UGA kool-aid' to have them # 1. His point was that the SEC media clearly has a better grasp on the teams in the SEC than the members of the AP and Coaches Polls. He couldn't believe UGA was picked #2 in the SEC east and then #1 nationally. This has not been the first I have heard or read about this, I've been hearing it from idiot South Carolina and Florida fans since Media Days. Frankly though, I don't really care, I just get frustrated by the lack of common sense.

At Media Days, the SEC media picked the favorites in the conference. They were to take into account the schedules played.

The AP and Coaches Polls rank who they think the best teams are going into the season. These Polls are not in any way a prediction of anything. They are not supposed to take into account scheduled games in the future, they rank teams based on expectations in the preseason, the roster, returning players, etc. Then in the season they rank them on who they feel is best combined with wins and losses. Even in the season though--teams don't move up or down based on who they play the upcoming week. You don't hear, "Well, Alabama was 9-0 and ranked #4 but moved down this week to #8 in anticipation of their final stretch of games vs. LSU and Auburn."

While I disagree w/ the SEC media since I'm a biased fan, they were completing a task where one must look at the schedule to make a prediction. This is completely different than ranking the top 25 teams in the country. I imagine many of the SEC Media would tell you they would rank UGA higher than Florida but b/c UGA's schedule is so tough and grueling; they picked Florida to win the SEC East.

If you're going to try and belittle or 'hate-on' UGA, at least use an argument with some common sense.

And I think I am 'ranted-out' for awhile. I just get so worked up with all this anticipation for the season.

No comments: