Monday, August 18, 2008

We're Less than two weeks away...

Christmas is here on August 30th when we can finally see the beloved Dawgs take the field. Gone will be all the preseason questions, assumptions, predictions, rankings, etc. I can't say I'll miss it, I love getting excited about the season but with the high expectations for UGA this year, it has been ridiculous. I'm sick of reading and hearing every 'expert's' opinion based on what he's read, heard, etc. Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and some of them stink. And now for a dose of hypocrisy as I write my opinion looking forward.

In looking to what UGA needs I'll just throw out some general things I think. Obviously we need to take it one game at a time. I think we'll know what we're made of after week 5-will we be 5-0, 4-1, 3-2? Hopefully 5-0 but an early upset to say USC or Arizona State doesn't necessarily sink the ship. We were the hottest team in the nation last year, had we woken up 3 weeks earlier we certainly would have been in the national championship. I think the way the team looks and plays/avoiding injuries will be key. If we come out looking like we did against Troy or Vandy last year-I will not be feeling good. If we come out like we did against Florida or Auburn-I will be encouraged. This is not to say b/c we start or don't start well that it guarantees a good or bad rest of the season, it is just my opinion that if we are going to compete for a national championship-the team will have a tangible intensity that we will notice each and every week.

I say all this because starting with the Florida game last year I honestly could feel a different energy/intensity from the team. Even against Kentucky when we played poorly, I still felt it. I have never felt that intensity/focus from a UGA team before, its not something I can specifically point to but it just 'felt' different. Even years ago when the two David's took us to Jacksonville undefeated, I felt like we were flying under the radar, questioning if we belonged in the upper echelon or were ready for the hype. Same thing w/ Shockley's team of 2005, but starting with Florida last year I felt no doubt that we were of 'Top 3' caliber and believed it/played like it. That will be what I want to see early to really hold out hope that we can navigate our brutal schedule. I'd rather be 4-1 and see that same intensity than be 5-0 with a couple of crappy games where we squeak by but play down to the competition like we have in years past. Obviously I hope we'll be 5-0 and focused/intense and eventually 14-0 w/ me sitting in the Dade County Jail for streaking down South Beach after the Orange Bowl.

Finally, even though its a 'curse' and means nothing and I hate that teams are ranked before October....

This is kind of cool, never seen this before:
#1 in AP
#1 in Coaches

and...

2 comments:

BW said...

I'll be your cell mate after beating up a hot dog man while I am completely naked trying to keep up with you.

Les said...

Can't wait. Forgot to mention/clarify in my post as well that much of my offseason frustration stems from the AJC (mainly Mark Bradley) and then UGA fans' stupid responses on the AJC blogs.

Bradley is the worst excuse for a journalist ever, if I want to read/hear pro-UGA stupidity, I'll go to a special education class in Athens.