Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 3



It could not have been a more typical UGA-USC matchup than what we got on Saturday. A lot of good defense, a lot of missed opportunities, and a low-scoring game where the outcome was in question until the end. While I had hoped that this would be a coming out party for our offense against a quality opponent, it wasn't meant to be.
Unfortunately we left ourselves with too many tough 3rd down conversions to really put together a solid rhythm. I blame the offensive issues on:
1. South Carolina's defense: Clearly those outside the SEC don't agree but I'd say they are a top 15 defense in the nation, probably top 10.
2. Mike Bobo: Worst game he's called since last year's Kentucky game. I don't
want to completely say it was him though since Stafford has so much freedom at
the line, but there were a few real bad play calls. (QB draw from the 6 on 3rd
down ring a bell?)
3. Tripp Chandler: His dropped pass on the first drive for UGA cost the Dawgs at
least 3, if not 7 points. He had another 3rd down drop later in the 1st, it
was highly frustrating. Others dropped passes-this isn't a bash fest on
Chandler, but I wouldn't be being honest about my game thoughts without
mentioning him.

However, we still fought hard and our defense played fantastic to keep us in the game and take us to 3-0. I thought Rashad Jones looked fantastic all day, I found it fitting that he would be the one to make the final pick to end it. Rennie showed again why he is the man with his forced fumble on the 1 to keep UGA ahead 14-7 in the
4th. The D-Line was good against the run but we've got to get more pressure on the QB without having to blitz. I'm sure that will be a point of emphasis going forward.

All in all, a SEC win is something to celebrate. Everyone will play close games during the season, we just had one sooner than the media darlings USC and Oklahoma. I think the intensity of that game and the fact that we did not play anywhere near what is expected will bring a sense of urgency to the team that otherwise would not exist. I now expect full focus against Arizona State and I really think we win by 17 + points out there. Then we come home and should put a whooping on Alabama, I think Saban will again be embarrassed in Sanford Stadium as he was in '04 with LSU. Certainly the Dawgs have some areas of concern and some issues to address but there's no need for panic just yet. A good couple of games in the next 2 weeks will get us right back where we need to be.

No comments: