Monday, September 29, 2008

Week 5

"Black-out Saturday" quickly became "Black Saturday" just after 8 pm on Saturday night. The first half was a shocking display of dominance by Alabama and an absolute horror to see for UGA fans. I will not be watching a replay of this game to gather my thoughts or attempt to analyze what happened, emotionally I cannot take it.

I can't bear to look at pictures of the game so no picture for this week's wrap-up.

Alabama is very good and deserves all the credit for their win but I still feel UGA is a top 5 team in contention for the National Championship. We knew going into this season that going undefeated probably wasn't going to happen. Well, we lost a game and yes...the first half was worse than anyone could have dreamed. However, we won the 2nd half convincingly and I promise you-the coaches of Alabama DO NOT want to see us again.

The most concerning/distressing thing for me in the game was our lack of defensive intensity in the first half. I hope Willie Martinez finally realizes now that we are not going to be successful sitting back in zone coverage against teams that have talent. After the debacle in the first half I think we got aggressive and pinned our ears back and went after Alabama; but too little, too late.

Did we get dominated on the line of scrimmage in the first half? Yes
Did we look terrible on both sides of the ball in the first half? Yes

However, the 2nd half was better in many regards. I've already written more about the game than I wanted to, this is one of those that will be discarded into the 'forget about it' tank.

We've got 2 weeks to re-group and get back after it. Hell, we win the next 4 weeks and I assure you we are right back in this thing. Things are not as bad as pessimists think right now, positive energy will revive this thing.

No comments: